Two NY Jets Fans

Friday, April 28, 2006

WOZZY'S DRAFT PREVIEW

With the NFL draft scheduled for noon tomorrow, and the New York Jets holding two first round picks, there is plenty of speculation as to which direction Gang Green will head with their picks. Naturally, the #4 overall pick will hinge directly on the first three picks preceeding it, while the #29 overall pick could be utilized in any number of ways to address the countless voids on the current roster. Here is how I see the first few picks shaping up, as well as what I would like to see the organization address in this year's draft.

WOZZY'S TOP 10 + 1 PREDICTIONS

1. HOUSTON - Reggie Bush - RB - USC.
2. NEW ORLEANS - Mario Williams - DE - N.C State.
3. TENNESSEE - Vince Young - QB - TEXAS.
4. NEW YORK JETS - D'Brickashaw Ferguson - T - Virginia.
5. GREEN BAY - A.J. Hawk - LB - Ohio State.
6. SAN FRANCISCO - Vernon Davis - TE - Maryland.
7. OAKLAND - Matt Leinart - QB - USC.
8. BUFFALO - Brodrick Bunkley - DT - Florida State.
9. DETROIT - Michael Huff - DB - Texas.
10. ARIZONA - Jay Cutler - QB - Vanderbilt.
29. NEW YORK JETS - LenDale White - RB - USC.

ANALYSIS

#4 Pick: D'Brickashaw Ferguson - I know some will argue that the Jets should take Matt Leinart at this spot if he's available. However, with the loss of Mawae and Fabini, the Jets are incredibly thin on the offensive line. Ferguson is a tremendous pass protector, and brings a ton of athletic ability to the table. A quarterback needs a solid line in order to be successful. Ferguson is the smart pick.

#29 Pick: There are any number of directions the Jets could go here. I've seen predictions for Manny Lawson, the defensive end out of N.C. State, as well as Davin Joseph, the offensive guard from Oklahoma. However, if Carolina does not pick up LenDale White with their twenty-seventh pick, I would like to see the Jets take a chance on White. Curtis Martin is not getting any younger, while Blaylock and Huston are not the answers for the future. White has decent speed, a strong build and a championship pedigree. He would be my pick at number twenty-nine if he remains on the board.

SLEEPER PICK

If I had to pick a sleeper at the #4 slot for the Jets, I would go with tight end Vernon Davis out of Maryland. I know, I know. The last thing Jets fans want to hear is that they should take another tight end after all the previous busts at the position. However, Davis runs a 4.3 forty, all while carrying 250 lbs. He could turn out to be an explosive and athletic Antonio Gates-like tight end.

2 Comments:

  • I would certainly love to take LenDale White in the 2nd round, but I have a feeling he will be gone by then. I think Carolina is going to take him at #27 because Foster and Davis are always hurt.

    Before the hamstring injury, people were talking about White going in the top ten. His leg will heal, and like you said, he is a proven work horse. I'd take a chance on him.

    That said, I'd love DeAngelo Williams too, but he'll be gone by #29 as well. He also had major fumbling problems in college.

    I'm also tempted by Vernon Davis, because it looks like he could become a stud, and we all know the Jets have been looking for a tight end for 20 years. However, Ferguson is the correct pick at 4. Have to take the stud lineman when you can get them.

    I wanted to go further into depth in the draft, and discuss some GMen picks and move into the later rounds, but I ran out of time....

    I think at 25, the Gmen will most likely go with Sinorice Moss - WR - Miami. That would be a smart pick too, because Toomer is getting old, and they could use a speed threat to go along with Plaxico Fantastico. Chad Jackson - WR - Florida is also a possibility if he's still around, but I think the general consensus is that the Gmen are going with a WR.

    By Blogger Wozzy Bear, at 12:44 PM  

  • I'm very pleased they used their heads and went with Ferguson....

    By Blogger Wozzy Bear, at 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home